Aging & Disability
As individuals age, changes take place that affect both the mind and body. Tasks once easily completed may become increasingly difficult and require assistance. Family members may find themselves placed in a caregiving role.
As the dedicated Area Agency on Aging (AAA), Waccamaw Regional Council of Governments exists to provide services and resources to seniors and their caregivers in the Waccamaw Region. The AAA offers the support many senior residents need to continue living comfortable, high-quality lives in their own homes for as long as possible.
WRCOG also serves as the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) for the region. The ADRC works to improve awareness of and access to resources and services for seniors, adults with disabilities and caregivers.
- The Assisted Rides program, which provides no-cost transportation services to seniors and people over age 21 who are disabled.
- The Family Caregiver Assistance program, which provides support, information, education and small grants to family caregivers.
- The Insurance Counseling and Referral for Elders (ICARE) program, which provides health insurance counseling for those participating in Medicare, assists with Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage and Medicaid Savings Programs, and helps with coordination of benefits and general insurance information.
- The Information, Referral and Assistance (IR&A) program, which creates connections between community services and those in need of assistance, provides outreach and advocacy and helps guide clients through the aging process.
- The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program seeks to improve the quality of life and care of those residing in nursing homes and assisted living facilities by educating facility staff and community members, investigating complaints, visiting facilities and monitoring conditions.
- The agency works with providers to deliver services such as congregate dining programs, home-delivered meal programs, transportation and homemaking programs. Our providers are:Georgetown County Bureau of Aging Services
Horry County Council on Aging
Vital Aging of Williamsburg County
Part of a larger, nationwide network dedicated to improving the lives of senior citizens and disabled individuals, this arm of Waccamaw Regional offers a range of services to assist seniors, persons with disabilities and their families as they navigate ever-changing programming and service options, and effectively coordinate resources that allow clients to be engaged in their communities and live the highest quality of life possible.